African Library project
IMPORTANT: the 2018 Book Drive has now been concluded. Thank you for your support!
African library project
This summer, Project enVision U.S. is proud to partner with the African Library Project to help build a library in Africa. Our first collaborative project location is in Sierra Leone.
We are raising money to help ship these books, and are collecting thousands of children books to start the library (more information on what type of books can be found below). We have partnered with multiple locations from Los Gatos, to San Jose. There are plenty of locations to donate books. If you can't find a location near you, and would like to help out, please email Saurish Srivastava or feel free to make a Donation.
The African Library Project changes lives book by book by starting libraries in rural Africa. Their grassroots approach mobilizes U.S. volunteers, young and old, to organize book drives and ship books to start or improve a library in Africa. Their method makes a concrete and personal difference for children and communities on both continents.
Project enVision U.S. is committed to its goal in making education more accessible, both locally and internationally. This Book Drive is part of Project enVision's new global commitment to furthering access to education.
Types of books
GOAL: 1,200 books
We request books at U.S. pre-school to 6th grade reading level including:
- Baby board books
- Children’s picture books
- Children’s fiction and non-fiction
- Early readers
- Books with universal themes (friendships, animals, love)
- Children's books teaching life skills about health, hygiene, adolescence and careers
- Accurate up-to-date atlases
- Books about Africa or African-Americans
- Educational children's science and literary magazines in good condition
We cannot accept:
- Books that are filled with small, dense print that might be too intimidating or boring for the age level
- Books with lots of slang, which may be difficult for English learners to follow
- Books for very young children that have many references to appliances and electronic gadgets.
- Adult paperback romance novels
- Books about United States or Canadian history or government (but DO SEND books about African-Americans)
- Books about North American or religious holidays (Easter, Halloween, Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, April Fools Day, Valentine’s Day, Chanukah, etc.)
- Books that evangelize or promote a particular religion
- Magazines except for children's educational magazines and National Geographics less than 5 years old
Money Received: $1000 / $1000 Books Received: 1200 / 1200
We have partnered with multiple locations in various cities to help raise books. Click on the the name of each location to open it up in Google Maps.
Self Realization Fellowship Los Gatos (4/8 - 6/10):
- Open for collection every Sunday from 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.
Silver Oak Elementary School (4/23 - 6/11):
- Open for collection Monday through Friday during regular school hours. Please inquire with the front office on the location for the day.
Evergreen Community Center (4/30 - 6/11):
- Open for collection Monday through Saturday during regular center hours. Please inquire with front-desk for more information.
Have more than 100 books? Contact Us to schedule a pick up plan.
Shipping books can be very expensive. We need help raising money to ship these books. You can make a contribution by using the button to the left.